Select your date
CLASSIFICATION OF THE TOUR: Self-guided tour
DISTANCE: 204-222 km
DURATION: 7 Days / 6 Nights
Starting point of this bicycle holiday is Villach, located on the border of the Klagenfurt-basin, where the rivers “Drau” and “Gail” flow together. Real soon you have to say goodbye to Austria, before the bicycle tour continues in Italy.
The region Friuli-Venezia-Giulia offers not only scenic variety, but also invites to a foray through the cultural variety of the region. This mixture of the cultures reflects itself also in the cuisine: Alpine-Austrian, Slovenian and Venetian influences characterize the gastronomic offer of the region.
Moving on from the peaks of the Carnic Alps you cycle on the south side of the Alps approaching the sea, ahead of you the coast of the Adria with its miles long sand beaches is extending. Enjoy a “slacker-day” at Grado, one of the most popular bathing resorts of Italy.
Characteristics of the route:
The tour from Villach to Grado is an easy tour. It goes along bike paths or very quiet side roads, through small villages and picturesque landscape.
The tour is suitable for children from the age of 14.
Day 1: Arrival at Villach
Well known of its carnival;
Day 2: to Tarvis/Camporosso (approx. 37-40 km)
Tarvis - the border city;
Day 3: to Moggio Udinese/Tolmezzo (approx. 50-65 km)
Surrounded by wide valleys and woods;
Day 4: to Udine (approx. 58 km)
The wine defines the today`s stage.
Day 5: to Grado (approx. 59 km)
A historic city of fishers and bathing resort of the Adria;
Day 6: Day of rest on the sea or „culture-day“ in Aquileia
On the tracks of the Romans or a relaxing day on the sea;
Day 7: Departure
Individual departure or extension on the Adriatic Sea;
Included services; self-guided tour:
- Accommodation in hotels 3***, sometimes 4****star category
- Breakfast buffet or full breakfast
- Personal tour information
- Luggage transfer from hotel to hotel
- Transfer by minibus from Oberdrauburg to the Gailberg Pass
- Transfer by train from Bled to Most na Soci
- Well planned routes
- Detailed documents (maps, route description, places to visit, important telephone numbers)
- Telephone service hotline for the entire tour
- Arrival information:
- By car:
Villach is easily accessible on the motorways A2, A10 or A11 (depending on the point of origin).
- By Train:
Good train connections to Villach.
- By flight:
Airport Klagenfurt, Salzburg or Ljubljana. From all of the three places there are good train connections to Villach.
- By car:
- Car parking:
Depending on the first hotel free unattended parking facilities are available, either directly at your hotel or nearby (for the first night).
Accommodation in hotels of 3***star category, sometimes 4****star category
Attention: Tourist tax – if requested - has to be paid directly on the spot.
- Return transfer from Grado to Villach by shuttle bus every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday at a price of Euro 59.00 (bicycle included – reservation and payment upon booking).
- The price for the transfer from Grado to Spittal an der Drau is Euro 69.00 per person (bicycle included – reservation and payment upon booking).
- Train connections from Cervignano-Aquileia-Grado to Udine and from Udine to Villach.
Timetable on www.oebb.at.
- Rental Bikes:
21-gear ladies‘ and men’s bicycle
7-gear Unisex with back pedal
E-Bike (unisex bike)
- Tour information available in:
German – English - Italian